Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Week 9: Vids, pods, etc

Youtube:
I was familiar with Youtube and faced no problems embedding the following clip, which features Brewster Kahle talking about the Digital Library he is building. Because Youtube clips are so easy to embed and link to from other sites and are widely accessible as far as web browsers go they are great for educational purposes (such as the clips we have been viewing in this course).



Podcasts:
Last year I became I great fan of podcasts. An excellent site for short fiction podcasts is the New Yorker website and for superb author talks visit the NYPL website. These are excellent examples of readers and writers taking advantage of digital forms, and it makes perfect sense for libraries to create podcasts of the talks and seminars that take place.

eBooks, Audiobooks and Downloadable Media:
I was already familiar with ACL's eBooks and Audiobooks collection but I made a free account and found some items that looked interesting. I must say I am much more drawn to short stories and essays when it comes to books in digital form. I think shorter texts suit this form very well. Also language courses work well in these forms.

1 comment:

  1. Great work on this, its good to take time out to explore

    ReplyDelete